SearchFAQMemberlist Log in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Quantum Superloader 3
Author Message
Post Quantum Superloader 3 
OS: CentOS 5.5
Bacula Version: 5.0.2


Hello.  I am able to write data to my quantum superloader 3 only by basically moving the tape manually and disabling the autochanger.  Here is the situation.  This unit has an 8 tape magazine.  I have a tape in SLOT 1.  When I attempt to run a backup job to tape, I receive the below error:


3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
09-Jun 14:38 servername-sd JobId 496: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
09-Jun 14:38 servername-sd JobId 496: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.


It repeats several times, then states I have to load a tape manually that matches the label it’s looking for.  The tape is labeled and has been written to.  I know this because I disabled the autochanger function and made it a straight tape drive for testing.   I have gone through everything concerning this unit in the mailing list.  Everyone says it works, but I am unable to get it to work with the autochanger.  Also, I noticed that when it starts a backup if I have a tape in the drive, it takes the tape out and cannot find the tape.  I then get the error above.  


I want to backup to the tape until it is full.  This is for a one time backup I perform weekly.  I just want to append to the tape until I need to send the tape offsite at the beginning of the month.  Then I will start with a fresh tape.


If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. 


Thanks!


Brent

Post Quantum Superloader 3 
I have had luck with a Quantum Superloader 3 in the past. Can you let
me know what mode the loader is set to (it should be set to Random).

Thanks -Jason


On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 15:02 -0400, bwellsnc wrote:
OS: CentOS 5.5
Bacula Version: 5.0.2


Hello. I am able to write data to my quantum superloader 3 only by
basically moving the tape manually and disabling the autochanger.
Here is the situation. This unit has an 8 tape magazine. I have a
tape in SLOT 1. When I attempt to run a backup job to tape, I receive
the below error:


3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
09-Jun 14:38 servername-sd JobId 496: 3301 Issuing autochanger
"loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
09-Jun 14:38 servername-sd JobId 496: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive
0", result: nothing loaded.


It repeats several times, then states I have to load a tape manually
that matches the label it’s looking for. The tape is labeled and has
been written to. I know this because I disabled the autochanger
function and made it a straight tape drive for testing. I have gone
through everything concerning this unit in the mailing list. Everyone
says it works, but I am unable to get it to work with the
autochanger. Also, I noticed that when it starts a backup if I have a
tape in the drive, it takes the tape out and cannot find the tape. I
then get the error above.


I want to backup to the tape until it is full. This is for a one time
backup I perform weekly. I just want to append to the tape until I
need to send the tape offsite at the beginning of the month. Then I
will start with a fresh tape.


If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.


Thanks!


Brent




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________ Bacula-users mailing list Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users


--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason A. Kates (jason < at > kates.org)
Fax: 208-975-1514
Phone: 660-960-0070
============================================================================


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

Post Quantum Superloader 3 
The loader is set to Random.  It looks more like to me an issue with mtx and the mtx-changer script.  Like i said, it will write for client1-job1, then it goes to client2-job1 it will move the tape to slot 1 then it won't bring it back.  I want the tape to continue to fill until it's full.  If it's not full and I remove it, then it goes to the next tape.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Jason A. Kates <jason < at > kates.org ([email]jason < at > kates.org[/email])> wrote:
I have had luck with a Quantum Superloader 3 in the past.   Can you let
me know what mode the loader is set to (it should be set to Random).

                               Thanks -Jason



On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 15:02 -0400, bwellsnc wrote:
OS: CentOS 5.5
Bacula Version: 5.0.2


Hello.  I am able to write data to my quantum superloader 3 only by
basically moving the tape manually and disabling the autochanger.
 Here is the situation.  This unit has an 8 tape magazine.  I have a
tape in SLOT 1.  When I attempt to run a backup job to tape, I receive
the below error:


3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
09-Jun 14:38 servername-sd JobId 496: 3301 Issuing autochanger
"loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
09-Jun 14:38 servername-sd JobId 496: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive
0", result: nothing loaded.


It repeats several times, then states I have to load a tape manually
that matches the label it’s looking for.  The tape is labeled and has
been written to.  I know this because I disabled the autochanger
function and made it a straight tape drive for testing.   I have gone
through everything concerning this unit in the mailing list.  Everyone
says it works, but I am unable to get it to work with the
autochanger.  Also, I noticed that when it starts a backup if I have a
tape in the drive, it takes the tape out and cannot find the tape.  I
then get the error above.


I want to backup to the tape until it is full.  This is for a one time
backup I perform weekly.  I just want to append to the tape until I
need to send the tape offsite at the beginning of the month.  Then I
will start with a fresh tape.


If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.


Thanks!


Brent






------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit.  See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________ Bacula-users mailing list Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net ([email]Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net[/email]) https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users


--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jason A. Kates (jason < at > kates.org ([email]jason < at > kates.org[/email]))
Fax:    208-975-1514
Phone:  660-960-0070
============================================================================



Post Quantum Superloader 3 
2010/6/9 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com>:
The loader is set to Random.  It looks more like to me an issue with mtx and
the mtx-changer script.  Like i said, it will write for client1-job1, then
it goes to client2-job1 it will move the tape to slot 1 then it won't bring
it back.  I want the tape to continue to fill until it's full.  If it's not
full and I remove it, then it goes to the next tape.


Are all clients using the same pool?

John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

View user's profile Send private message
Post Quantum Superloader 3 
Here is what I have setup for my conf's.  I have my conf files in a conf.d directory. I added this to my bacula-dir.conf file:

  < at > |"sh -c 'for f in /etc/bacula/conf.d/*.conf ; do echo < at > ${f} ; done'"

I then setup a conf file just for the tape pool and tape storage:


# Tape pool definition
Pool {
  Name = TapeCopy
  Pool Type = Copy
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle = yes
  Storage = LTO4Tape
  Maximum Volumes = 1
  LabelFormat = "Tape-"
}


Storage {
  Name = LTO4Tape
  Address = mystorage-sd
  Password = "password"
  Device = DLT-S4
  Media Type = DLT-S4
}



Below is my client.conf file that is for just one server.  I have several of these to help keep everything clean and I can work on just one file and know where everything is saved.  This has 2 jobs.  One job is for the full backup to a file storage volume, then there is a copy job that copies the full backup to my tape drive.


Schedule {
  Name = "servername"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=servername-full sun at 2:00
  Run = Level=Differential Pool=servername-diff mon-sat at 2:00
  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=servername-inc hourly at 0:05
  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=servername-inc hourly at 0:35
}


Client {
  Name = servername-fd
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
  Address = servername
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "l3tm3in"      # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 7 days            # 30 days
  Job Retention = 2 months            # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}


Pool {
  Name = servername
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 6 days         # one year
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G          # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Maximum Volumes = 100               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
  Next Pool = TapeCopy
  LabelFormat = "servername-"
  Storage = servername
}


Pool {
  Name = servername-full
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes           # automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes         # Prune expired volumes
  Next Pool = TapeCopy
  Volume Retention = 6 months
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G
  Storage = servername
  Label Format = "servername-full-"
  Maximum Volumes = 100
}


Pool {
  Name = servername-inc
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes           # automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes         # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 1 month
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 1G
  Storage = servername
  Label Format = "servername-inc-"
  Maximum Volumes = 100
}


Pool {
  Name = servername-diff
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 14 days
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G
  Storage = servername
  Label Format = "servername-diff-"
  Maximum Volumes = 100
}


Job {
Name = "servername-fd" #Change this
Type = Backup
Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
Client = servername-fd #Change this
FileSet = "dnsdata_servername" #Change this
Schedule = "servername"
Messages = Standard
Storage = servername
Pool = servername
Full Backup Pool = servername-full
Incremental Backup Pool = servername-inc
Differential Backup Pool = servername-diff
Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/%c.bsr"
}
FileSet {
Name = "dnsdata_servername"
Include {
    Options {
      compression = GZIP
    }
File = /home/
File = /etc/
File = /root/
File = /var/named/
 }
}


Job {
  Name = "servername-copy"
  Type = Copy
  Level = Full
  Client = servername-fd
  FileSet = "dnsdata_servername"
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = servername
  Storage = LTO4Tape
  Full Backup Pool = servername-full
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
  Selection Type = SQLQuery
  Selection Pattern = "SELECT MAX(Job.JobId) FROM Job, Pool WHERE Job.Level = 'F' and Job.Type = 'B' and Job.JobStatus = 'T' and Pool.Name = 'servername-full' and Job.PoolId = Pool.PoolId GROUP BY Job.Name ORDER BY Job.JobId;"
}


Storage {
  Name = servername
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
  Address = mystorage-sd                # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "password"
  Device = servername
  Media Type = File
}



Here is my storage entry for my tape drive:




Autochanger {
Name = Autochanger
Device = DLT-S4
Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
Changer Device = /dev/sg3
}


Device {
Name = DLT-S4
Drive Index = 0
Media Type = DLT-S4
Archive Device = /dev/st0
AutomaticMount = yes # when device opened, read it
LabelMedia = yes
AlwaysOpen = yes
Autoselect = yes
RemovableMedia = yes
RandomAccess = no
AutoChanger = yes
# Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
}





I mirrored another setup I saw online that stated this works with the Quantum Superloader 3.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm < at > gmail.com ([email]drescherjm < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:
2010/6/9 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>:
The loader is set to Random.  It looks more like to me an issue with mtx and
the mtx-changer script.  Like i said, it will write for client1-job1, then
it goes to client2-job1 it will move the tape to slot 1 then it won't bring
it back.  I want the tape to continue to fill until it's full.  If it's not
full and I remove it, then it goes to the next tape.



Are all clients using the same pool?

John


Post Quantum Superloader 3 
2010/6/10 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>
Here is what I have setup for my conf's.  I have my conf files in a conf.d directory. I added this to my bacula-dir.conf file:



Did you run all the suggested tests for mtx changer script , and did they all pass? _________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I detest people who take short­cuts rather than do things right, because they leave crap for the rest of us to clean up."
   PHK

Post Quantum Superloader 3 
Yes, I was able to move the tapes perfectly fine from the command line using the mtx-changer script.  This is the error if I have no tape in the drive, but I have a tape in slot 1 of my autochanger:

10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog for Volume "Tape-0241" on "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0). Manual load may be required.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: Warning: mount.c:221 Open device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0) Volume "Tape-0241" failed: ERR=dev.c:491 Unable to open device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0): ERR=No medium found


But if I run the changer script from the command line:


/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg3 load 1 /dev/st0 0


And then I run the backup just like before with the tape in the drive it runs fine.  But once I start trying to backup another client, it unloads the tape, moves it to slot 1 and then I get the error "3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0""



2010/6/9 Norberto Meijome <numardbsd < at > gmail.com ([email]numardbsd < at > gmail.com[/email])>
2010/6/10 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>
Here is what I have setup for my conf's.  I have my conf files in a conf.d directory. I added this to my bacula-dir.conf file:




Did you run all the suggested tests for mtx changer script , and did they all pass? _________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I detest people who take short­cuts rather than do things right, because they leave crap for the rest of us to clean up."
   PHK




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit.  See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net ([email]Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net[/email])
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users



Post Quantum Superloader 3 
bwellsnc I have several clients with working Quantum Superloader3 tape
libraries. I think I know exactly what your problem is. Smile

Since your mtx tests all work fine, and your bacula will backup to a tape when
you manually load it in, here goes:


If you run "list media" I am guessing that you will also see that the "In
Changer" and "Slot" field for each of your volumes is "0" mening bacula does
not believe it to be somewhere it can get it to load by itself.

If you run the "update slots" command bacula should tell you what volumes it
THINKS are in the slots which should also indicate that bacula does not think
ANY of your media are in the Superloader.

I have a feeling that you manually labeled your tapes instead of using the
barcodes, and bacula does now know what slot it is supposed to load to get
"Tape-0241" (for instance) into the drive.

If you run the "label barcodes" command, bacula will automatically run through
each tape and write a bacula tape label matching the tape's barcode for each tape.

Then, whenever you remove/replace tapes you will need to run the update slots
command so that bacula can update the "Slot" and "in Changer" fields in the
database for your media.


I usually run a job of type "Admin" each night where my clients manually
insert/remove media tot their Quantum Superloader3's that is configured to
run before (higher priority) than the nightly jobs and this "admin" job simply
runs a script that calls the "update slots" command so that bacula has
current/valid information regarding which tapes are in the Superloader and
which slot they are in.

Here's my "UpDateSlots" job Definition:

# ----------------
# Update Slots Job
# ----------------
Job {
Name = UpDateSlots
Client = backup-fd
Type = Admin
FileSet = None
Storage = DLT-V4
Schedule = UpDateSlots
Messages = Standard
Priority = 8
SpoolData = no
Pool = Default

RunScript {
RunsWhen = Before
RunsOnClient = no
Fail Job On Error = no
Command = "/usr/local/sbin/runbefore-updateslots.sh"
}
}


And here is the /usr/local/sbin/runbefore-updateslots.sh script that I use:

#!/bin/bash
#
# waa - 20091110
# --------------

BC="/usr/sbin/bconsole"
CONF="/etc/bacula/bconsole.conf"
STORAGE="DLT-V4"

$BC -c $CONF << WAAEOF
update slots storage=$STORAGE
quit
WAAEOF



Hope this helps.


--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC
http://www.revpol.com/




On 06/10/10 07:23, bwellsnc wrote:
Yes, I was able to move the tapes perfectly fine from the command line using
the mtx-changer script. This is the error if I have no tape in the drive,
but I have a tape in slot 1 of my autochanger:

10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog
for Volume "Tape-0241" on "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0). Manual load may be required.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded?
drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded?
drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: Warning: mount.c:221 Open device
"DLT-S4" (/dev/st0) Volume "Tape-0241" failed: ERR=dev.c:491 Unable to open
device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0): ERR=No medium found

But if I run the changer script from the command line:

/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg3 load 1 /dev/st0 0

And then I run the backup just like before with the tape in the drive it
runs fine. But once I start trying to backup another client, it unloads the
tape, moves it to slot 1 and then I get the error "3302 Autochanger "loaded?
drive 0""


2010/6/9 Norberto Meijome <numardbsd < at > gmail.com>

2010/6/10 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com>

Here is what I have setup for my conf's. I have my conf files in a conf.d
directory. I added this to my bacula-dir.conf file:


Did you run all the suggested tests for mtx changer script , and did they
all pass?
_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I detest people who take short­cuts rather than do things right, because
they leave crap for the rest of us to clean up."
PHK





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo



_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

Post Quantum Superloader 3 
Sorry, everything, didn't hit reply to all:

Thanks Bill for getting back to me.  The label that I have shown is what Bacula automatically labeled the tape.  That I have set in on of my conf files.  What I have done is tried to start over with the tapes.  I purged all the jobs for it, deleted the volume for good measure, then I rewinded the tape and ran a mt -f /dev/st0 weof.  I have now moved the tape, which I only have one tape in the total tape unit, back to slot 1.  After I did all that, I ran the update slots command I got this message:

Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at mystorageserver:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "DLT-S4" has 8 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at mystorageserver:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
No Volumes found to label, or no barcodes.
 
When I ran the label barcodes command, I received the same error as above.  I am still convinced that this is something to do with my entries in the bacula-sd.conf for this unit.  I think that is where the hangup is.  



On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula < at > revpol.com ([email]waa-bacula < at > revpol.com[/email])> wrote:
bwellsnc  I have several clients with working Quantum Superloader3 tape
libraries. I think I know exactly what your problem is. Smile

Since your mtx tests all work fine, and your bacula will backup to a tape when
you manually load it in,  here goes:


If you run "list media" I am guessing that you will also see that the "In
Changer" and "Slot" field for each of your volumes is "0" mening bacula does
not believe it to be somewhere it can get it to load by itself.

If you run the "update slots" command bacula should tell you what volumes it
THINKS are in the slots which should also indicate that bacula does not think
ANY of your media are in the Superloader.

I have a feeling that you manually labeled your tapes instead of using the
barcodes, and bacula does now know what slot it is supposed to load to get
"Tape-0241" (for instance) into the drive.

If you run the "label barcodes" command, bacula will automatically run through
each tape and write a bacula tape label matching the tape's barcode for each tape.

Then, whenever you remove/replace tapes you will need to run the update slots
command so that bacula can update the "Slot" and "in Changer" fields in the
database for your media.


I usually run a job of type "Admin" each night where my clients manually
insert/remove media tot their Quantum Superloader3's  that is configured to
run before (higher priority) than the nightly jobs and this "admin" job simply
runs a script that calls the "update slots" command so that bacula has
current/valid information regarding which tapes are in the Superloader and
which slot they are in.

Here's my "UpDateSlots" job Definition:

# ----------------
# Update Slots Job
# ----------------
Job {
 Name = UpDateSlots
 Client = backup-fd
 Type = Admin
 FileSet = None
 Storage = DLT-V4
 Schedule = UpDateSlots
 Messages = Standard
 Priority = 8
 SpoolData = no
 Pool = Default

 RunScript {
   RunsWhen = Before
   RunsOnClient = no
   Fail Job On Error = no
   Command = "/usr/local/sbin/runbefore-updateslots.sh"
 }
}


And here is the /usr/local/sbin/runbefore-updateslots.sh script that I use:

#!/bin/bash
#
# waa - 20091110
# --------------

BC="/usr/sbin/bconsole"
CONF="/etc/bacula/bconsole.conf"
STORAGE="DLT-V4"

$BC -c $CONF << WAAEOF
update slots storage=$STORAGE
quit
WAAEOF



Hope this helps.


--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC
http://www.revpol.com/





On 06/10/10 07:23, bwellsnc wrote:
Yes, I was able to move the tapes perfectly fine from the command line using
the mtx-changer script.  This is the error if I have no tape in the drive,
but I have a tape in slot 1 of my autochanger:

10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog
for Volume "Tape-0241" on "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0). Manual load may be required.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded?
drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded?
drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: Warning: mount.c:221 Open device
"DLT-S4" (/dev/st0) Volume "Tape-0241" failed: ERR=dev.c:491 Unable to open
device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0): ERR=No medium found

But if I run the changer script from the command line:

/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg3 load 1 /dev/st0 0

And then I run the backup just like before with the tape in the drive it
runs fine.  But once I start trying to backup another client, it unloads the
tape, moves it to slot 1 and then I get the error "3302 Autochanger "loaded?
drive 0""


2010/6/9 Norberto Meijome <numardbsd < at > gmail.com ([email]numardbsd < at > gmail.com[/email])>

2010/6/10 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>

Here is what I have setup for my conf's.  I have my conf files in a conf.d
directory. I added this to my bacula-dir.conf file:


Did you run all the suggested tests for mtx changer script , and did they
all pass?
_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I detest people who take short­cuts rather than do things right, because
they leave crap for the rest of us to clean up."
   PHK





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit.  See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net ([email]Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net[/email])
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit.  See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo



_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net ([email]Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net[/email])
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users





Post Quantum Superloader 3 
Curious if anyone has an idea on my little problem.  Thanks!

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM, bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:
Sorry, everything, didn't hit reply to all:

Thanks Bill for getting back to me.  The label that I have shown is what Bacula automatically labeled the tape.  That I have set in on of my conf files.  What I have done is tried to start over with the tapes.  I purged all the jobs for it, deleted the volume for good measure, then I rewinded the tape and ran a mt -f /dev/st0 weof.  I have now moved the tape, which I only have one tape in the total tape unit, back to slot 1.  After I did all that, I ran the update slots command I got this message:

Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at mystorageserver:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "DLT-S4" has 8 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at mystorageserver:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
No Volumes found to label, or no barcodes.
 
When I ran the label barcodes command, I received the same error as above.  I am still convinced that this is something to do with my entries in the bacula-sd.conf for this unit.  I think that is where the hangup is.  




On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula < at > revpol.com ([email]waa-bacula < at > revpol.com[/email])> wrote:


bwellsnc  I have several clients with working Quantum Superloader3 tape
libraries. I think I know exactly what your problem is. Smile

Since your mtx tests all work fine, and your bacula will backup to a tape when
you manually load it in,  here goes:


If you run "list media" I am guessing that you will also see that the "In
Changer" and "Slot" field for each of your volumes is "0" mening bacula does
not believe it to be somewhere it can get it to load by itself.

If you run the "update slots" command bacula should tell you what volumes it
THINKS are in the slots which should also indicate that bacula does not think
ANY of your media are in the Superloader.

I have a feeling that you manually labeled your tapes instead of using the
barcodes, and bacula does now know what slot it is supposed to load to get
"Tape-0241" (for instance) into the drive.

If you run the "label barcodes" command, bacula will automatically run through
each tape and write a bacula tape label matching the tape's barcode for each tape.

Then, whenever you remove/replace tapes you will need to run the update slots
command so that bacula can update the "Slot" and "in Changer" fields in the
database for your media.


I usually run a job of type "Admin" each night where my clients manually
insert/remove media tot their Quantum Superloader3's  that is configured to
run before (higher priority) than the nightly jobs and this "admin" job simply
runs a script that calls the "update slots" command so that bacula has
current/valid information regarding which tapes are in the Superloader and
which slot they are in.

Here's my "UpDateSlots" job Definition:

# ----------------
# Update Slots Job
# ----------------
Job {
 Name = UpDateSlots
 Client = backup-fd
 Type = Admin
 FileSet = None
 Storage = DLT-V4
 Schedule = UpDateSlots
 Messages = Standard
 Priority = 8
 SpoolData = no
 Pool = Default

 RunScript {
   RunsWhen = Before
   RunsOnClient = no
   Fail Job On Error = no
   Command = "/usr/local/sbin/runbefore-updateslots.sh"
 }
}


And here is the /usr/local/sbin/runbefore-updateslots.sh script that I use:

#!/bin/bash
#
# waa - 20091110
# --------------

BC="/usr/sbin/bconsole"
CONF="/etc/bacula/bconsole.conf"
STORAGE="DLT-V4"

$BC -c $CONF << WAAEOF
update slots storage=$STORAGE
quit
WAAEOF



Hope this helps.


--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC
http://www.revpol.com/





On 06/10/10 07:23, bwellsnc wrote:
Yes, I was able to move the tapes perfectly fine from the command line using
the mtx-changer script.  This is the error if I have no tape in the drive,
but I have a tape in slot 1 of my autochanger:

10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog
for Volume "Tape-0241" on "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0). Manual load may be required.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded?
drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 myservername-sd JobId 806: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded?
drive 0" command.
*messages
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0",
result: nothing loaded.
10-Jun 07:12 nmyservername-sd JobId 806: Warning: mount.c:221 Open device
"DLT-S4" (/dev/st0) Volume "Tape-0241" failed: ERR=dev.c:491 Unable to open
device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0): ERR=No medium found

But if I run the changer script from the command line:

/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg3 load 1 /dev/st0 0

And then I run the backup just like before with the tape in the drive it
runs fine.  But once I start trying to backup another client, it unloads the
tape, moves it to slot 1 and then I get the error "3302 Autochanger "loaded?
drive 0""


2010/6/9 Norberto Meijome <numardbsd < at > gmail.com ([email]numardbsd < at > gmail.com[/email])>

2010/6/10 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>

Here is what I have setup for my conf's.  I have my conf files in a conf.d
directory. I added this to my bacula-dir.conf file:


Did you run all the suggested tests for mtx changer script , and did they
all pass?
_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I detest people who take short­cuts rather than do things right, because
they leave crap for the rest of us to clean up."
   PHK





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit.  See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net ([email]Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net[/email])
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit.  See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo



_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net ([email]Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net[/email])
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users










Post Quantum Superloader 3 
2010/6/12 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com>:
Curious if anyone has an idea on my little problem.  Thanks!


My guess is this is a permissions problem. With the user bacula not
being permitted access to mtx or your changer device.

John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

View user's profile Send private message
Post Quantum Superloader 3 
OK.  I know the permissions for the mtx-changer script is set to root:bacula.  I will change the permissions and see what happens.  Thanks.
On Jun 12, 2010 4:18 PM, "John Drescher" <drescherjm < at > gmail.com ([email]drescherjm < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:

2010/6/12 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>:

Curious if anyone has an idea on my little problem.  Thanks!

My guess is this is a permissions problem. With the user bacula not
being permitted access to mtx or your changer device.

John


Post Quantum Superloader 3 
Ok, not sure this is a permission issue now.  Changed the mtx-changer script permissions, still nothing.  Went as far as making the  bacula-dir and bacula-sd to run as root:

root      4690  0.0  0.0 193304  2896 ?        Ssl  09:36   0:00 /usr/sbin/bacula-dir -u root -g disk
root      4713  0.0  0.0 164680  2156 ?        Ssl  09:36   0:00 /usr/sbin/bacula-sd -u root -g disk


Changed it to root and I still received when I ran update slots:



Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at naalinback1sf.internal.naaleads.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "DLT-S4" has 8 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at naalinback1sf.internal.naaleads.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
No Volumes found to label, or no barcodes.



Here is the output of mtx -f /dev/sg3 status:


  Storage Changer /dev/sg3:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full
      Storage Element 2:Empty
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty
      Storage Element 8:Empty



As you can see, mtx can see a drive in the unit.  After all this I still received:


13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: Warning: mount.c:221 Open device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0) Volume "Tape-0139" failed: ERR=dev.c:491 Unable to open device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0): ERR=No medium found


13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog for Volume "Tape-0139" on "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0). Manual load may be required.
13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
13-Jun 09:39 mystoragesf-sd JobId 447: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0" command.
*messages
13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result: nothing loaded.
13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: Warning: mount.c:221 Open device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0) Volume "Tape-0139" failed: ERR=dev.c:491 Unable to open device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0): ERR=No medium found


13-Jun 09:39 mystorage-sd JobId 447: Please mount Volume "Tape-0139" or label a new one for:
    Job:          myclient-copy.2010-06-13_09.39.16_03
    Storage:      "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0)
    Pool:         TapeCopy
    Media type:   DLT-S4



If I run:


/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer /dev/sg3 load 1 /dev/st0 0


The tape is moved to the drive and once there, it writes perfectly:


13-Jun 09:46 director-dir JobId 449: The following 1 JobId was chosen to be copied: 291
13-Jun 09:46 director-dir JobId 449: Copying using JobId=291 Job=client-fd.2010-06-13_02.00.00_31
13-Jun 09:46 director-dir JobId 449: Bootstrap records written to /var/lib/bacula/director-dir.restore.2.bsr
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: Start Copying JobId 449, Job=client-copy.2010-06-13_09.46.58_06
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: Using Device "DLT-S4"
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: Ready to read from volume "client-full-0005" on device "client" (/backvol/client).
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: Invalid slot=0 defined in catalog for Volume "Tape-0139" on "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0). Manual load may be required.
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: Labeled new Volume "Tape-0139" on device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0).
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: Wrote label to prelabeled Volume "Tape-0139" on device "DLT-S4" (/dev/st0)
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: Forward spacing Volume "client-full-0005" to file:block 0:6341011.
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: End of Volume at file 0 on device "client" (/backvol/client), Volume "client-full-0005"
13-Jun 09:47 mystorage-sd JobId 449: End of all volumes.
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: Bacula director-dir 5.0.2 (28Apr10): 13-Jun-2010 09:47:19
  Build OS:               x86_64-koji-linux-gnu redhat
  Prev Backup JobId:      291
  Prev Backup Job:        client-fd.2010-06-13_02.00.00_31
  New Backup JobId:       450
  Current JobId:          449
  Current Job:            client-copy.2010-06-13_09.46.58_06
  Backup Level:           Full
  Client:                 client-fd
  FileSet:                "dnsdata_client" 2010-06-12 10:35:00
  Read Pool:              "naadns1sf-full" (From Job FullPool override)
  Read Storage:           "client" (From Pool resource)
  Write Pool:             "TapeCopy" (From Job Pool's NextPool resource)
  Write Storage:          "LTO4Tape" (From Storage from Pool's NextPool resource)
  Catalog:                "MyCatalog" (From Client resource)
  Start time:             13-Jun-2010 09:47:00
  End time:               13-Jun-2010 09:47:19
  Elapsed time:           19 secs
  Priority:               10
  SD Files Written:       1,144
  SD Bytes Written:       6,300,776 (6.300 MB)
  Rate:                   331.6 KB/s
  Volume name(s):         Tape-0139
  Volume Session Id:      1
  Volume Session Time:    1276436810
  Last Volume Bytes:      6,451,200 (6.451 MB)
  SD Errors:              0
  SD termination status:  OK
  Termination:            Copying OK


13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: Begin pruning Jobs older than 2 months .
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: No Jobs found to prune.
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: Begin pruning Jobs.
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: No Files found to prune.
13-Jun 09:47 director-dir JobId 449: End auto prune.



I guess if I want todo this, I will have to move my tapes manually.



On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM, bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:

OK.  I know the permissions for the mtx-changer script is set to root:bacula.  I will change the permissions and see what happens.  Thanks.

On Jun 12, 2010 4:18 PM, "John Drescher" <drescherjm < at > gmail.com ([email]drescherjm < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:

2010/6/12 bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])>:

Curious if anyone has an idea on my little problem.  Thanks!

My guess is this is a permissions problem. With the user bacula not
being permitted access to mtx or your changer device.

John





Post Quantum Superloader 3 
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM, bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, not sure this is a permission issue now.  Changed the mtx-changer script
permissions, still nothing.  Went as far as making the  bacula-dir and
bacula-sd to run as root:
root      4690  0.0  0.0 193304  2896 ?        Ssl  09:36   0:00
/usr/sbin/bacula-dir -u root -g disk
root      4713  0.0  0.0 164680  2156 ?        Ssl  09:36   0:00
/usr/sbin/bacula-sd -u root -g disk
Changed it to root and I still received when I ran update slots:

Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at
naalinback1sf.internal.naaleads.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "DLT-S4" has 8 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at
naalinback1sf.internal.naaleads.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
No Volumes found to label, or no barcodes.
Here is the output of mtx -f /dev/sg3 status:
  Storage Changer /dev/sg3:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full
      Storage Element 2:Empty
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty
      Storage Element 8:Empty

This is strange. Do you have barcode labels on your tapes?

John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkGeek and WIRED's GeekDad team up for the Ultimate
GeekDad Father's Day Giveaway. ONE MASSIVE PRIZE to the
lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
Bacula-users < at > lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

View user's profile Send private message
Post Quantum Superloader 3 
No barcodes on the tapes.  Didn't know I needed to use them.  Thought I could use this unit without using barcodes.  

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:06 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm < at > gmail.com ([email]drescherjm < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM, bwellsnc <bwellsnc < at > gmail.com ([email]bwellsnc < at > gmail.com[/email])> wrote:
Ok, not sure this is a permission issue now.  Changed the mtx-changer script
permissions, still nothing.  Went as far as making the  bacula-dir and
bacula-sd to run as root:
root      4690  0.0  0.0 193304  2896 ?        Ssl  09:36   0:00
/usr/sbin/bacula-dir -u root -g disk
root      4713  0.0  0.0 164680  2156 ?        Ssl  09:36   0:00
/usr/sbin/bacula-sd -u root -g disk
Changed it to root and I still received when I ran update slots:

Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at
naalinback1sf.internal.naaleads.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "slots" command.
Device "DLT-S4" has 8 slots.
Connecting to Storage daemon LTO4Tape at
naalinback1sf.internal.naaleads.com:9103 ...
3306 Issuing autochanger "list" command.
No Volumes found to label, or no barcodes.
Here is the output of mtx -f /dev/sg3 status:
  Storage Changer /dev/sg3:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full
      Storage Element 2:Empty
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Empty
      Storage Element 6:Empty
      Storage Element 7:Empty
      Storage Element 8:Empty



This is strange. Do you have barcode labels on your tapes?

John


Display posts from previous:
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum